Thursday 3 March 2011

Folksy Friday - dreams do come true

For as long as I can remember I have had this dream of owning an antique sewing machine.  I love my modern sewing machine, but believe me when I say it's not a looker!  I adore the old black machines, the intricate patternation and gilding in contrast to the sheer weight of the machine and cast iron treadle.  We spent last week in France with my Monsieur's family and stayed in an old house that his grandparents have recently inherited.  As Mamy was showing us around our eldest was rummaging through cupboards and wardrobes as only 6 year olds can get away with!  To everyones surprise she opened a 'chest of drawers' to find an antique Singer sewing machine with treadle in perfect working order and the 'chest of drawers' was in fact a purpose built oak sewing chest with incorporated sewing table! I nearly died!  Anyway to cut a long story short we brought the machine home with us and the treadle and chest are coming later on! 

I couldn't wait to get back onto English soil so I could get the internet on my phone and start researching.  As soon as we got past customs in Dover I started looking at machines on the internet to try and date it.  (Silly me for not writing down the serial and model numbers before we wrapped it up and put it in the bottom of the boot).  I did casually suggest at one of our rest stops that we could just get it out quickly and have a look, but my Monsieur just glared at me!  As soon as we got home and the girls were put to bed I went onto the Singer website and input the numbers.  I thought in the back of my mind that it could be late 1940s.  It's fairly plain and I figured that it could be due to being made shortly after World War II.  Anyway, it turns out it was made in Scotland between July and December 1919!  Woooah!  Never did I imagine it would be so old.  I feel such a lucky bunny and am so looking forward to having all the pieces together so I can have it serviced and start making.  I really want to find out more about the machine and will contact Singer to see if they can tell me anything more about it's history.  I can't wait!

So with that in mind my Folksy Friday this week is all about the sewing machine. The workhorse that serves me (and many others) tirelessly.  If you like what you see click on the pic to be transported to Folksy and go shop! Ursula ♥

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that's amazing! Good job your daughter found it! : )
    Lovely Folksy friday by the way!
    Beata x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Double whammy! A lovely week away and an excitingly fabulous find - all illustrated beautifully. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - lucky you, I love them too.
    Lovely pics - I especially like the fabric picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lucky.
    In the new issue of Simply Homemade they renovate an old machine. can scan you copy of srticle if interested.

    Love this theme.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Nanna used to have an old trestle peddel singer sewing machine, and it was lovely. I never knew what happened to it,but I would gladly have had it in my home.

    Weldone for locating one!

    Natalie x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all your comments. I'm still quite giddy about it all!

    Lorna - it would be fab if you could send me the article! (pinkstarsandfairycakes@hotmail.co.uk) That's very kind of you.

    Happy Weekend everyone, U♥

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lovely story and what a find! Hope you get it restored.
    Lovely pick of items

    ReplyDelete